Teachers Pay Teachers Instagram Email Pinterest Image Map

Saturday, August 30, 2014

1st week math: number of the day

I can never figure out what to do for my math plans the first week of school. Do I dive in into the meaty stuff? Or do I start off easy, do more of a review? But then what if it's too easy? As you can tell, math isn't my best subject to teach. However, being surrounded by talented teachers (and splitting the planning with an amazing team) has allowed for me to piggyback and learn from some teachers who have a better grip on math than I do. So this year, we're starting off with reviewing numbers and number sense by doing a "number of the day". I'm sure you've all seen this before; it's nothing original but it's effective to see how much your students know about number concept and works great as an assessment for the individual components involved in completing a number of the day worksheet. I've created a number of the day worksheet that has 6 different components/ways to show the number: numeral, number word, illustrations, tally marks, ten frames, and a number sentence. After modeling doing one myself and one with my students, I'm going to have students complete these individually and then perhaps for homework as well, after I assign a number. 

You can download the freebie by clicking the picture below. Also, don't forget to leave feedback in my store! It's helpful and just makes my day a little bit brighter :)

What are you all doing for your first week math plans?

No comments:

Post a Comment