Teachers Pay Teachers Instagram Email Pinterest Image Map

Saturday, August 16, 2014

Classroom setup rambles, a sneak peak, and number lines

I've been so busy setting up my classroom and it's slowly, but surely, coming together. But... I can't say I'm as pleased with it this year as I was last year. I had an ocean theme and it was beautiful, if I do say so; I loved being in my class because I had put in so much money and time into making it pleasing, but quite honestly, the decorations got in the way of putting up anchor charts and I regretted putting a third of the decorations up. So this year, I opted for a simple color scheme instead of a full out theme and while things generally match in my classroom, there's so much blank wall space that it bothers me. I keep trying to remind myself that I'll need that space later on, but I'm comparing my room from last year to this year and how much "less," for lack of better words, my room seems. Of course, this is all superficial rambles because everyone knows your classroom decorations do not determine how well students learn, but I already know that and because I've planned in advance for instruction, I can allow myself the energy to lament over these trivial things.

I'm such a visual person that things need to look a certain way for me or I tend to obsess over them and will spend hours drafting and tweaking little things here and there. I've been doing that for the past month or so, especially since being back in the classroom to set up because now I can actually see how things look. Perhaps I need to add more small decorations or something without taking away the wall space that I'll eventually need.. Sigh. On the other hand, I really do need to get over it and let it go just a little. After all, my classroom isn't quite done. It's still a work in progress, and I need to remind myself of that. Deep breaths, Hannah. It'll work out in the end. With that positive thought, here's a sneak peak at some of the highlights of my room.

The library/front area.
 Pom poms ready for hanging.

Fail of the day. (Actually, it's only one of the many fails of that day setting up, but it still makes me laugh).

On the topic of number posters, I spent some time creating a set of primary-colored star-themed number posters, available in my store for purchase. Just click on the picture below.

Hope everyone's set up is going smoothly, and remember: keep calm, breathe, you're amazing, and it'll work out in the end.

No comments:

Post a Comment