Teachers Pay Teachers Instagram Email Pinterest Image Map

Monday, August 11, 2014

The Crayon Box that Talked Activities!

Guys, I found my new love. Brownie Brittle. Brownie brittle, guys. These things are SO addictive. With a glass of milk, they're the perfect snack... to snack on all day. I may have eaten the whole bag in one day (with the help of a hungry sister, of course). They're brownie bits but with a cookie crunch. SO good.

Okay, now onto some slightly more important things. Who's read this amazing book??


Although this book is pretty well known, for those of you who don't know it, it's about a little girl who goes into a store and purchases a box of crayons that dislike each other for no real reason. She begins to draw a picture using each color and the crayons gradually begin to see each other in a new light and realize that by working together, they can be something more: they can create a complete picture, a masterpiece. It's an adorable story that can be used to teach respect, how to get along with others, and the uniqueness of each individual. I read this every year towards the beginning of the year to set the tone for the school year and the kids love it. They really see the message loud and clear because it's so explicit.

After reading the book, I create a writing display with students decorating their own blank crayons with one thing that makes them unique and put the crayons together in a large crayon box picture labeled with our room number and my name. Search "The Crayon Box that Talked" on Pinterest and a ton of examples will show up.

Asides from making the display, I realized that I don't do that much with the book so I created a short activity packet that allows for more engagement with the book through writing and drawing. Included in the packet is:

  • I am unique because.. writing piece
  • Be the artist! Draw a picture using 5 colors. 
  • Story map: characters, setting, problem, solution 
  • Retell and illustrate the beginning, middle, and end of the story (RL.1.2 standard)
The product can be found at my store by clicking the link below. 


What are some activities you do with this amazing book? 

No comments:

Post a Comment